Ingredients: 1 1/2 Cups Toor Dal
1 1/2 Cups Rice (Sona Masouri or Basmati)
Onions | Potatoes | Peas | Carrots | Beans | Green Pepper
(any combination about 1 1/2 cups) cut into large pieces
1 tbsp Coriander Seeds (or Powder)
3-4 Red Chilies (or 1-2 tsp Red Chili Powder)
1" Piece of Cinamon
1/2 Coconut or 1/4 Copra or 1/2 cup of Coconut Powder
1 Lemon sized ball of Tamarind (or 3 tsp of Paste)
2 tbsp Sambhar Powder or Bisi Bele Bath Powder
Salt to taste
1. Pressure cook the Rice and Dal together with 3 cups of water
2. Dry Roast (no oil) the Coriander, Chilies and Cinamon till slightly darker brown (get a nice smell from the Coriander).
3. Grind the roasted ingredients with the Coconut and tamarind to make a paste (mix powder and paste versions for quicker results)
4. Make a seasoning of Mustard Seeds, 1/4 tsp Haldi and a pinch of Asafoetida in 2 tsp of oil and cook all diced Vegetables for abt 10 min (till soft)
5. Add the Paste and the Rice/Dal mix and the Sambhar Powder. Add 1 cup of water and mix well.
6. Cook on a low flame, mixing often for about 10 mins. The consistency must be mushy.
Add about 2 tbsp of Ghee to get a more rich Bath.
Fry 50 gms of Cashew pieces in Ghee to top off the dish.