* 2 cups chopped dried mixed fruit
* 1 cup roughly chopped glace cherries
* 1/4 cup candied mixed citrus peel
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
* 1 1/2 cups white sugar
* 3/4 cup butter
* 1 cup milk
* 1 teaspoon mixed spice
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 2 2/3 cups sifted self-rising flour
* 2 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C). Line one 8x3 inch round cake tin with parchment paper.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine mixed fruit, cherries, citrus peel, walnuts, sugar, butter, milk, mixed spice, and baking soda. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 minutes. Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
3. Stir in flour and eggs. Pour into the prepared pan. Wrap outside of pan with brown paper or newspaper.
4. Bake at 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) for 40 minutes, then reduce temperature to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C), and continue to baking cake for 1 1/2 hours. Remove cake from oven, and allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn it out onto a cooling rack, remove paper, and cool completely. Cake can be stored for up to 6 months wrapped in foil and in an airtight tin.