* 1/2 cup water
* 4 ounces white confectioners coating or vanilla chips
* 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
* 2 cups sugar
* 4 eggs, separated
* 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
* 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 cup buttermilk
* 1 cup flaked coconut
* 1 cup chopped pecans
* 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
* 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 3 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1 tablespoon milk
1. In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in confectionery coating until melted. Cool for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
Add egg yolks; mix well. Beat in coating and vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
Mix well. Stir in the coconut and pecans. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into the batter. Pour into three greased and floured 8-in. square baking pans.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove to wire rack to cool completely.
2. Combine frosting ingredients in a mixing bowl; beat well. Frost tops of two layers; stack on serving plate with plain layer on top. Frost top and sides of cake